Monday, March 26, 2012

Sheltered

You know those movies that are so good, you walk away with a thick blanket of "What the fuck did I just watch?" and, maybe the occasional "What if...." ? Yeah, I am totally going through that right about now.
The Hunger Games. Simple as that. A book about a country, torn apart almost eighty years before, now going through a gladiatorial battle between the broken down districts and the wonderfully built up capital - grown so large only because of the deaths and the money and the crookedness of man. 24 children, no matter the age, have to kill each other until only one comes out alive. And then they are immortalized...
So, the main character knows exactly what happens to those unfortunate few, but still goes ahead and takes the responsibility from her prissy younger sister. She goes to hell and back in order to fulfill her promise to her younger sister about winning.
And, just thinking about it, my eyes tear up. Had my sister's name been called, I would have walked up there and taken her place just as easily. I would have killed and even died for her. Because I love her, cherish her, and couldn't fathom her living without me nor me without her. But, thinking further, I think about my parents...
My parents shelter me. They make sure that I will never get hurt and they would gladly give their lives to make sure that my sister and I wouldn't get hurt. But, you know, not a lot of other parents would do the same. Some, however horrible, would easily turn their backs and walk away. We know this and still go ahead and mess around and take that for granted. The main character's mother, for example, went through periods of time where she couldn't even take care of others, nevertheless, care for her children's well being.
I can't even comprehend a day where people are scared for their lives because they have to deal with a lottery that either ends with popularity and immortality or dullness, starvation, and, well, life, for a limited amount of time. I can't even begin to imagine a day where I can't have freedom, plentiful food, or parents that are there for me. A day in which I can't be my bubbly, trusting self because that would get my ass in some serious trouble.
I thought, right after the movie, "What would happen if I was the heroine, in the games and in the blood-bath? Killing and running and offering up a considerable amount of hope in a better day?"
I would get my ass killed in the first week of the competition....
(Believe me, this certain comment definitely won a disapproving look from my mother;)