Thursday, December 15, 2011

Rich or poor.... I'd rather be poor

That's pretty much the question. Isn't it?
I walked by a little girl and an older man having a conversation the other day.
"What do you want to have when you grow up?"
"Lots and lots of money, mister. Like my mommy and daddy."

I see something rather shocking here. This little girl wants money and riches because her parents have it. Did they ever teach her to have integrity and do somthing that makes her happy? No, siree, she wants money. A mere object in the world that people waste years for, even kill for. So, why burden yourself?
The school I'm going to is very well along, if you know what I mean. The tuition for high school is $22,000 a year. Several kids' parents are paying the full price. And, they squander it. I've seen their homes: multi-million dollar renovations, pools, tennis courts, volleyball courts, an arcade for God's sake! For what? To show off and have the best house on the block.
I used to want to be a politican, a marine biologist, a dean of a school. Then, i saw what these people have and how they practically worship the stuff. Now, I want to build up a small business for the arts that will be part of my home. Writers, painters, musicians, singers... they can all have a home in my home. I want to open this to the homeless and needy for a release from the cruel life they have to live because the "loaded" people would rather waste their money on a house that they don't even live in rather than the people that would appreciate it and think the world of them if they would just contribute.
Of course, it will take a while and lots of money to do so, but I'm going to do it. A library, an art room, music room, blank walls in the back of my house to be filled up by the lovely masterpieces and imagination of amazing people.
I've learned that I don't need millions in the midst of greedy millionars. I embrace the predicament that I am in: we have money, but just enough to live with. Not too much, not too little. I am perfectly happy where I am and where I stand.

What differnce does it make how much you have? What you do not have amounts to much more.
- Seneca